Part-time Faculty, English and Digital Humanities
- Design and facilitate new Digital Composition class for inaugural term of EDH program
- Work closely with EDH Director to create open learning opportunities in new digital environments, incorporating online tools such as Twitter, GoogleDocs, WordPress, YouTube, Klout, and more to innovate relevant, integrated learning experiences.
- Organize, design, and run Digital Writing Month massive open online course (MOOC) to provide students and non-students with an entertaining, fun experience with digital composition
- Coordinate with Prior Learning Assessment department to create a course with creditable activities and outcomes
- Work with other educators and authors to curate guest editorials for the course
- Plan and implement a one-night on-campus hybrid event
Managing Editor / Director of Educational Outreach
The Aspen Program
Manager, Curriculum and Marketing / Registrar
- Offer advising and vocational counseling/mentorship to students
- Teach core classes
- Assist vocational school Program Director with curriculum design and assessment
- Conduct marketing focus groups consisting of former and current students to elicit and evaluate responses to proposed curriculum and marketing efforts (web site, promotional materials, etc.)
Community Colleges of Colorado Online
Chair, English Department
- Designed an online student resource and community center where students could seek help and advice from faculty, administrators, and one another
- Referred students to professional and educational development opportunities
- Provided academic advising to current students, including program requirements, course selection, recommended course load, and prerequisites for transfer to a 4-year institution.
- Assisted traditional and non-traditional students with transition into college
- Offered support to students seeking information and resources regarding admission, registration, and financial aid
- Worked with faculty and administrators to develop open lines of communication with students
- Redesigned all composition courses – Basic Composition, English Composition I, and English Composition II
- Created courses that placed an emphasis on the relevancy of writing and writing assignments.
- Recommended course designs that were student-centered and encouraged active learning.
- Innovated open-content courses, utilizing entirely online resources and no text books.
- Hired faculty for design of courses; supervised design work as it progressed.
- Managed selection and distribution of textbooks and other course materials (bookstore and faculty copies).
- Provided leadership and expertise in the development and maintenance of effective instructional models for 25-30 faculty.
- Hired qualified faculty and assigned courses to faculty each term.
- Oversaw the development of new online courses and the redesign of existing online courses.
- Participated in the ongoing exchange of ideas with faculty and program chairs concerning online educational theory and practice.
- Worked with faculty throughout the faculty training and evaluation processes.
- Recommended training as needed to faculty; ensured faculty were up-to-date regarding professional development requirements.
- Developed and facilitated faculty workshops covering both technology and teaching.
- Regularly visited classes and maintained communication with faculty regarding any recommended changes to their classrooms/course shells.
- Continuously supported and coached faculty teaching practices.
- Provided a communication path between faculty and administrative staff.
- Mediated issues which arose between faculty and students or faculty and staff.
- Designed American Literature I
- Created a course centered on themes in American literature, with an emphasis on relevance and student-centered exploration.
- Redesigned Creative Writing I – Introduction to Creative Writing:
- Enriched course interactivity with improved discussions, a more robust and learner-centered workshop function, and the introduction of interactive “lectures.”
- Revised foundational pedagogy to reflect a more progressive and experiential approach to creative writing.
- Designed and administered sections of Basic Composition, English Composition I, English Composition II – The Research Paper, Creative Writing I – Introduction to Creative Writing, and Masterpieces of Literature II
- Determined readings from textbooks and aligned readings with discussions and assignments in a WebCT online environment.
- Carefully monitored students’ varying skills and capabilities with online learning, and provided guidance to make learning more successful.
- Interacted with students through e-mail, chat, and discussion boards.
- Acted as mentor for new faculty, providing technological and pedagogical support, as well as development of a teaching community.
- Participated in growth of department through discussions of course development, participation in community college peer learning seminar, and semi-annual faculty conferences.
Alva Learning Systems
- Designed and developed web-based and performance-based training for corporate training:
- Conducted front-end analysis and developed design documents to specify course objectives and content deliverables.
- Wrote learning objectives that tracked required competencies.
- Created dynamic, interactive instructional content, including role plays, simulated dialogues, and case studies.
- Collaborated with multimedia developers to design interactive learning elements.
- Consulted with graphic designers to ensure that graphics matched instructional purpose.
- Worked closely with clients, project managers, quality assurance and compliance personnel to deliver high-quality material.
- Utilized Bloom’s Taxonomy to create learner-friendly courses with testable content and statistical results.
- Course material included: OSHA safety training, bank and credit union policies and procedures, business communication skills, and management training.
- Assisted with the creation of the Quality Assurance department, serving as QA Manager from 2001 – 2002.