Digital Pedagogy Lab is an annual learning and teaching event held at the University of Colorado at Denver. The event was established in 2015 at the University of Wisconsin-Madison as an opportunity to provide in-depth dialogue and practical experience to educators working in under-theorized digital learning spaces. From 2016 to 2019, the gathering was held at the University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, VA.
Critical pedagogy forms the foundation of our approach at Digital Pedagogy Lab. As Director of the Lab, I have been primarily concerned with the facility of online and digital learning, and especially with the ways that educational technology and instructional design make space for—or do not make space for—student agency and liberative pedagogies. As the Lab has continued to grow, its focus has widened to include issues of access, disability, equity, student rights, teacher agency, and the representation of unheard and silenced voices in education.
I founded Digital Pedagogy Lab with my long-time colleague, Jesse Stommel, after a conversation at Stanford University in 2012. At that time, we each had been working for over a decade in digital and online learning, and we recognized a need for practical, scholarly, affective support for teachers and students working in fully online and hybrid environments.
The first Lab was held at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2015. In 2016, two shorter events were held at the American University in Cairo and the University of Prince Edward Island; and the 5-day event moved to the University of Mary Washington, where it now has a permanent home.
Digital Pedagogy Lab has featured an international group of instructors and keynotes, including:
- Anya Kamenetz, NPR
- Cathy Davidson, City University of New York, HASTAC
- Jesse Stommel, University of Mary Washington
- Amy Collier, Middlebury College
- Audrey Watters, Hack Education
- Bonnie Stewart, University of Prince Edward Island
- Chris Friend, Saint Leo University
- Jade Davis, LaGuardia Community College, HASTAC
- Tressie McMillan Cottom, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Sara Goldrick-Rab, Temple University
- Adeline Koh, Stockton University
- Chris Gilliard, Macomb Community College
- Dave Cormier, University of Prince Edward Island
- Lee Skallerup-Bessette, University of Mary Washington
- Martha Burtis, University of Mary Washington
- Kate Bowles, University of Wollongong, Australia
- Rajiv Jhangiani, Kwantlen Polytechnic University
- Amy Slay, Middlebury Institute of International Studies
- Robin DeRosa, Plymouth State University